These days' summer means slurping on your favorite coconut concoction, spritzing on your sun hydrator, and staying hydrated with coconut water during your summer workouts. If you're a coconut lover you might have heard about some of the beauty and health benefits of coconut. They're everywhere! In this blog we are revealing several more ways to add to your "coconut bliss" from DIY natural remedies, skin care products, how to make homemade hair care conditioner with coconut milk, coconut oil, and coconut water.
1. DIY Coconut Face Wash
Only three ingredients required to make this easy to use face wash designed to moisturize and eliminate pimples.
- 1/4 cup raw, local honey
- 1/4 cup water, organic coconut water or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon liquid castile soap
- Combine ingredients and pour into a plastic bottle with a nozzle.
- Avoid shaking the bottle because it will start to foam like soap.
- Pour a small amount of the mixture into the palm of your hand and apply to the face and neck massaging gently.
- Make sure you avoid your eyes.
Tip: For a deeper cleanse add a pinch of baking soda a 1- 2 times per week. Rinse with warm water.
2. Coconut Milk Leave-In Conditioner
Ingredients / supplies
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon argan oil (great for frizzy hair and adds shine to dull hair)
- 10 drops essential oil (rosemary, lavender, peppermint all are great for strengthening hair)
- 1 tablespoon canned coconut milk
- 2 oz. spray bottle
- Stir melted coconut oil, jojoba and argan oils.
- Pour melted oil to the spray bottle a quarter of the way and then fill the rest of the bottle with coconut milk or add 1 tablespoon canned coconut milk.
- Replace cap and shake to combine.
- Keep refrigerated.
- Good for one week.
Tips: You can also use this recipe as a lip balm and an all-over body lotion. If you'd rather not make your own leave-in conditioner we highly recommend Pure Fiji's Coconut crème Conditioner available in coconut, coconut milk and honey, mango, pineapple of course, and starfruit.
Why coconut milk is great for the hair?
- Due to its high fat content, proteins and vitamin E it helps to restore thinning hair, split ends and dry, damaged hair.
- Great de-tangler and promotes hair growth.
- Adds volume to without making your hair greasy.
3. Pina Colada Tropical Glow Mask
Get a gorgeous glow with this heavenly pineapple AHA mask. Fresh pineapples contain an enzyme called bromelain designed to naturally remove dead skin cells. This all-natural mask is great for minimizing the appearance of lines and brown spots while giving your skin a beautiful glow. All skin types can benefit from this homemade mask by using it once a week.
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh pineapple (you can also use canned pineapple)
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- Combine all ingredients into a glass bowl.
- Apply all over your face, neck, and chest.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes. (if you have sensitive skin leave on for less than 10 minutes or rinse off immediately if you feel an uncomfortable tingling)
- Rinse with lukewarm water and pat to dry.
- Apply your favorite moisturizer from Pure Fiji.
4. DIY Cellulite Coconut Coffee Scrub
Did you know that coffee grounds tighten and provide antioxidants to the skin when applied topically? When applied religiously, it has been shown to reduce the appearance of celluliteóespecially over time. But remember, when it comes to cellulite you must combine it with the right food and exercise.
Ingredients (for two applications)
- ½ cup ground rice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coffee grounds (or brown sugar)
- 1 ½ tablespoons of grated ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a glass jar with a lid.
- Stir together until you get a thick paste.
- Apply over entire body, working in circular motions from the feet up.
- Rinse in the shower.
- Finish off with Pure Fiji's Hydrating Body Lotion (available in coconut, coconut lime blossom, coconut milk and honey, frangipani, guava, mango, noni, orange blossom, pineapple, starfruit, and white ginger lily)
- Refrigerate leftover.
5. Brightening Cleanser and Toner for Sensitive Skin
When you use it as a cleanser simply dip a cotton pad in coconut water and apply it to your face in circles. You can also use it as a toner which helps to moisturize your skin and regulate the pH of your skin. The vitamin C found in coconut water acts as a natural skin brightener.
Why is coconut water great for the skin?
Coconut water is full of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin C, enzymes, amino acids, magnesium and potassium. In addition it's high in natural electrolytes; coconut water is a great way to hydrate.
As you can see coconut can be used in so many ways as skin care, body and hair products and for a good reason. It is natural, safe and has no serious known side effects. If you're in the lookout for natural skincare and hair care products be sure to check out Pure Fiji. Pure Fiji's botanical blend of coconut, dilo, macadamia and sikeci oils are the base for all of Pure Fiji's products. What makes Pure Fiji special is that the coconut oil is extracted within a few hours of harvesting the coconut, maintaining its naturally high nutrient content of vitamins A.B.C. and E as well as antioxidants. With the new season around the corner make sure you adjust your skincare routine and give your skin the TLC it deserves.