15 At-Home Activities and Ideas to Relieve Stress
When you're feeling stressed it's easy to just curl up in a blanket and hide. While there are many ways to relieve stress it's not always easy to stick with them. So we've come up with fun things you can do and they don't require you to do an intense one hour HIIT workout either. Here are some great stress-relieving activities that are easy to do even if you can't get outside. Enjoy!
1. Do some quick exercise
If you're feeling jittery quick bursts of movement are great. Try a set of 20 jumping jacks, 10 pushups or sit-ups, or running in place for 30 secondsóa burst of activity gets your heart rate up and it will activate several neurotransmitters that will enhance your mood and help cushion some of that anxiety and stress.
If you like this type of craft activity there's evidence that the repetitive action of clicking your needles can be meditative and calming. In fact, some research shows knitting makes women less preoccupied and anxious.
3. Just breathe
Forget about meditation for now and simply focus on breathing. Breathing slowly has been shown in research to have a calming effect on the central nervous and cardiovascular systems, and belly breathing specifically may improve attention, mood, and levels of the stress reducing hormone, cortisol.
4. DIY Easy Calming Herbal Eye Pillow
Online activity is at an all-time high and you're eyes maybe feeling too tired. This herbal eye pillow has just come to the rescue! With the weight of the rice and the soothing scent of lavender, you can rest and relax to your heart's content.
- 2 pre-washed fabric pieces 9.5-inch x 4.5-inch cotton or silk
- 2/3 cup rice or flaxseeds
- 1/3 cup dried lavender flowers (Mint and chamomile are good choices too)
- With the right sides together and a 1/4-inch seam allowance, sew around the 2 pieces of fabric.
- Leave 2 inches open on a short end for turning and stuffing.
- Clip the corners, turn right side out and press.
- Fill the pillow with rice or flaxseeds, and dried lavender. Use a funnel to make filling easier.
- Sew the opening shut.
- To use, just lean back and lay the pillow across your eyes. Now go and relax!
Tip: You can also keep the pillow in the freezer for some cold therapy. You can also gently warm it for some soothing heat. Just make sure you spritz it with Pure Fiji's Room Mist to avoid it from getting too dry. Lavender is used due to its calming properties, but other herbs could also be substituted or combined with the lavender.
5. Clean clean clean
Whether you want to give your pantry a good wipe-down or organize your skincare products cleaning has multiple stress reducing benefits. One study found that people who were told to stay gently focused on what they were doing while washing dishes were less stressed.
If you enjoy drawing or doodling it's an easy way to get anything out of your head and can be a great stress reliever.
There's a ton of research that shows how 10 minutes of yoga can reduce stress. If you want to do some yoga without leaving the house, there are great apps out there.
8. Make a collagen smoothie
Why add collagen powder to your drink? Well It turns out this fountain of youth has been popular in Japan for 13+ years. Celebrities swear by its beauty benefits: smoother skin, stronger nails, and shinier hair.
Since it's vital that we continue to boost our immune system we found this healthy smoothie recipe from Vital Proteins.
Immune Boosting Smoothie Recipe
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Peptides
- 1 ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoon chia seeds
- º avocado
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- ½ lemon
- ½ orange
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
Blend all ingredients in a blender together and enjoy!
9. Feng Shui your bedroom
Feng Shui only asks that Chi energy circulate freely in your space. Don't store under your bed:
- souvenirs or memorabilia, like photos or old clothes
- shoes, whether worn or unworn
- off-season clothing
- electronics, old artwork, books
- ""clutter,"" meaning things you're just not ready to deal with right now
10. Give your lips TLC
Your face isn't the only area that requires a facial.
- Step 1: Moisten lips with water and use your fingers to apply the Pure Fiji's Coconut Lip Polish gently onto lips. Use a soft, circular motion to buff away dead skin cells.
- Step 2: Wipe off with a damp cloth or rinse with water.
- Step 3: Apply a thin layer of Pure Fiji's Coconut Lip Sleeping mask on your lips.
- Step 4: Leave on for 30 minutes.
- Step 5: Rinse.
TIP: Lip Sleeping Mask may be used as an overnight masque as well. Use 2-3 times a week
11. Spend a couple of minutes journaling
The therapeutic benefits of journaling have been scientifically proven especially for managing stress, anxiety, and mental health conditions. You don't need to follow any certain structure when journaling. It's your own private place to discuss whatever you want. Write whatever comes to mind freely. Don't worry about spelling mistakes or what other people might think. No one will see it but you.
12. Enjoy a foot soak
If you've been walking or running outside lately foot soaks are a great way to soothe and soften your tired achy feet.
- Simply fill a large bowl with warm to hot water (make sure you lay a towel down where you are going to do your foot soak).
- Add ½ cap or desired amount of Pure Fiji's Coconut Milk Bath Soak.
- Put your feet in the bowl, sit back and relax.
- Soak your feet while you watch a movie or your favorite TV show.
- After your foot soak, use a pumice stone to scrub off any dry skin on your feet - the bath soak will soften the dry skin making it easier to remove.
13. Prep your meals for the week
By prepping your meals for the week ahead of time you have high quality, healthy food options ready when you are. Meal prepping comes down to this: spend a few hours prepping food one day, and you save tons of time and agony during the week when you are most stressed.
14. Light a coconut candle
Did you know that coconut candles burns slower and last longer than soy candles? If there's a travel ban in your country and you're missing the tropics Pure Fiji's Coconut Wax Candle in pineapple infusion will absolutely allow you to escape to your tropical scented paradise. Made by gently cooling warm organic coconut oil from the Fiji Islands, this coconut wax candle emits zero soot particles, does not blacken walls nor add toxic carcinogens into the air you breathe while delivering a luxurious fragrance bringing showstopper vibes to any room. This candle delivers approximately 34 hours of burn time.
15. Do a fun DIY with your kids
There is something so relaxing about playing with this soft and squishy dough, it's a fantastic stress reliever. This DIY Calming and Stress Relieving Lavender Play Dough only takes five minutes to make.
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 2 tbs of cream of tartar
- 1 tbs of oil
- Food coloring
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon of lavender Oil
- Mix all ingredients except the boiling water together into a large mixing bowl.
- Combine the food coloring (we recommend purple) and the lavender oil into the boiling water. Be very careful handling boiling water around children.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the water.
- Mix well and then turn onto some baking paper to cool.
The play dough gives off the most ëscent' when it's still slightly warm. This happens naturally from the warmth of your hands but i have been known to give the dough a little ëhit' in the microwave (15 seconds or so). Make sure the dough is not too hot for your child to play with.
The new normal has been a challenge to adapt leading to a spike in anxiety, stress, and even depression. There's a lot that is out of our control so it's vital that you make the time to de-stress and relax. We hope that that these ideas will help you get through these challenging times. Do them with those you live and share with those who you think may need them too. Stay safe my friends.