With the arrival of the New Year comes the desire to change things up a bit - New Year's resolutions anyone? Often that means a change to a healthier lifestyle complete with a healthy living attitude. And this newfound lifestyle isn't just about diet and exercise, it's about your beauty routine too. Turning to natural beauty products is one way to go about creating a healthier beauty routine. And what's one of the best kept natural beauty secrets out there? Hydrosols! There are countless benefits and uses for hydrosols - so read on to discover 18 of the top ways to add hydrosols to your beauty routine.
First things first: what are hydrosols?
Hydrosols are pure healing waters that are produced during distillation. When the plant material is distilled, it's exposed to boiling water, steam or both. The steam then breaks open the structures of the plant that contain the essential oil and other plant fluids. The water then contains the essence of everything that was alive and growing in the plant. The essential oil and hydrosol separate after distillation is complete, with the essential oil floating on top of the hydrosol.
Misting and spraying are the most common ways to use hydrosols, especially for beauty. For your skin, hydrosols can help support hydration, soothe inflammation, help cell regeneration and balance sebum. They are a great way to harness plant actives for use on your skin.
Hydrosols allow you to continuously replenish the water content in your skin previously lost due to age and environment. As you age, your skin becomes thinner and retains less water than before; its collagen and elastin levels also decrease as time goes by. With continuous water replenishment throughout the day, the skin remains plump and healthy looking.
If you're looking for a great product containing hydrosols, look no further than Pure Fiji's Hydrating Body Mist. This synergistic blend of Dilo leaf hydrosol, Ngi grass and coconut oil protects the skin and hydrates deeply. The Dilo leaf hydrosol has many benefits for the skin including being anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-irritant, anti-fungal, and a skin conditioner. It also helps to regenerate skin cells. Just one spritz of this refreshing pure leaf water rewards your skin with powerful anti-oxidants. Your skin is protected and hydrated, not to mention the intoxicating scent that's left on your skin after use. The hydrating body mist is available in several delicious infusions: coconut, coconut milk and honey, mango, orange blossom, pineapple, starfruit and white ginger lily.
So how can you use Pure Fiji's Hydrating Mist to make your beauty routine better and healthier? Here are 18 simple ways to do just that:
- Post-Sun hydrator: After a day in the sun, lightly mist your body to feel cooled and refreshed.
- Daily after shower mist: Spritz the body mist all over your body after you take a shower. The scent will last longer as your pores are open and will absorb more of the mist.
- Fragrance spray for your hair: Spray the mist lightly on your hair to leave it feeling hydrated and to give it a light fragrance.
- Layer with your daily moisturizer: Start by moisturizing your body with your favorite unscented or scented lotion moisturizer. If you do use a scented lotion, make sure it is a similar scent to that of your body mist - or at least choose a lotion and mist that complement each other. Spray the mist over your moisturized body; doing so will lock in the refreshing scent and help hydrate the skin more deeply.
- Pre- and post-workout beauty plan: Make sure you pack it in your gym bag. To help prevent body odor, try misting the spray under your arms and other areas where sweat accumulates.
- Use it on your pulse points: To get the most out of your body mist, spray it directly on your pulse points (inner wrist, inside the elbow, behind the ears and knees and the base of the throat). Doing so will help amplify the scent.
- Foot Spray: Spray the body mist on the tops and bottoms of your feet to help control odor and provide a refreshing scent to your feet.
- Anti-itch spray: If you've been bitten by an insect or have itchy skin due to dry skin or dandruff, try using the body mist on your itchy parts to ease discomfort.
- Room Freshener: Spray the mist in your bedroom, bathroom or other space that needs a pick me up!
- Linen spray: Use the mist to freshen sheets, towels, and other linens. It will give them a delicious scent that can help you relax and unwind before bed.
- Car Freshener: Mist the inside of your car, but make sure you avoid any polished, painted or fragile surfaces.
- Refresh your clothes: Spray the mist lightly on your clothes (avoid any sensitive or delicate fabrics) to give them a nice scent and to help eliminate any unpleasant musty or smoky odors.
- Calming spray: Spraying the mist in your room and on your body can help to reduce stress and anxiety.
- Manicure finger bowl: Instead of putting water in your finger bowl during your manicure, use a hydrosol in its place.
- For your vacuum: Vacuums can build up an unpleasant odor over time due to an accumulation of dust and pet hair, among other things. To help eliminate this odor, spray the mist on a cotton ball and vacuum it up. The fragrance will then spread throughout your house as you vacuum. But beware - never spray directly into your vacuum cleaner as this can damage it!
- Gift wrap: After you've wrapped a gift for someone special, spray a little mist on the wrapping paper to make it more personal.
- Personalized Notes: Spraying a little mist on a personal note or letter lets the recipient know they're extra special!
- For professional estheticians: Spray the body mist on your client at the end of a treatment to hydrate the skin and lock in moisture. For facials, mist on the steam towel before applying to your client's skin.
Important tip: Store all hydrosols in the refrigerator. They are best used within 12-24 months.
Hydrosols might not be one of the more well-known natural beauty products out there, but there are so many benefits to using a spray like Pure Fiji's Hydrating Body Mist. Give it a try as part of your New Year's resolution to live a healthier life. You're sure to find one (or more) of the many uses of hydrosols beneficial to your beauty routine!