Have you ever been confused about why some parts of your skin are dry and some parts are oily? Yes, your skin can be like having a split personality and it's actually called combination skin. No, you don't need two sets of skin care products but there are some balancing tricks to making it all work. In this post you'll finally see how easy it is to how to maintain a proper skin care routine when caring for combination skin.
What Is Combination Skin?
Combination is a skin type that is a "combination" of an oily t-zone (forehead, nose, and chin) and dry or very dry cheeks.
How to Figure Out If You Have Combination Skin
- After 30 minutes of cleansing your face, do you notice that parts of your face are oily while other parts feel tight?
- Do you have large and visible pores on your nose?
- After applying your moisturizer does your t-zone feel oily? Do your cheeks feel dry?
- Do you have dandruff?
If you answered yes to all of the above then you most likely have a combination skin.
What Causes Combination Skin?
There are a few factors that contribute to this skin type but it's more than likely that you got it from mom and dad - it's in your genes.
Another factor is that you might be using the wrong natural skin care products. Maybe you thought well, my skin is mostly oily in the center so I'll just buy all natural products designed for oily skin or vice versa. I'll buy products for dry skin even if my t-zone is oily. Unfortunately if you've been doing one or the other that's most likely aggravating or over stimulating parts of your face.
How to Care for Combination Skin: Top 5 Natural Skin Care Products That Work Best
Picking the right skin care products depends on how dry or oily the different parts of your face are.
You see for your oily t-zone you will need products to help you control the shine. For the normal or dry parts you'll need more moisture. But that doesn't mean you need two separate moisturizers. Instead you'll be layering in additional products in order to achieve that perfect balance.
Daily Skin Care Routine for Combination Skin
Start with a gentle but effective water soluble cleanser to remove impurities, debris, and makeup. The key is avoiding sulphates which strip the skin of its natural oils.
If you feel you need a bit of extra cleansing around the nose and chin then consider a soft-bristled cleansing brush or use a face cloth if your skin is extremely dry and sensitive.
Cleanse your face in the morning and at bedtime. Don't cleanse more than that. Because dry skin can feel sensitive at times, avoid rubbing your face with the towel; instead pat your face when drying your face.
We recommend Pure Fiji's Purifying Cleanser. It's a hydrating cleanser boosted with sugar cane and papaya extracts to purify and brighten the skin without over-drying or irritating the skin leaving the skin feeling exceptionally smooth and radiant. Passionflower helps to soothe and calm acne prone skin and drift nut extract creates a healthy foundation for your skin to fight free radicals and other negative environmental influences. It's absolutely perfect for combination skin.
2. Alcohol-Free Toner
Immediately after cleansing, your skin needs a hydrating, soothing, and non-irritating toner. Pour a small amount on a clean cotton pad and gently wipe it all over your face and neck. Toners will help absorb all your skin-loving ingredients.
The perfect toner for combination skin must contain anti-inflammatory and skin-replenishing ingredients to keep your skin nourished and non-oily at the same time. That's why we're recommending Pure Fiji's Balancing Toner. You'll love it because:
- Passion flower contains anti-inflammatory properties which act as nourishing treats for acne.
- Cucumber hydrosol provides a soothing natural anti-inflammatory.
- It's brimming with green coconut kinetin which can increase collagen production.
- It's absolutely alcohol free; and therefore perfect for sensitive skin.
- Witch hazel effectively reduces inflammation and helps soothe your skin.
3. Hydrating Serum
Apply a hydrating serum on your cheeks. Layering your serum on prior to your day moisturizer will ensure that your cheeks are getting the proper nourishment so that your skin is always soft and supple, not dry.
An SPF 30 or greater sunscreen as your day moisturizer is ideal. You'll need a feather-light formula with a soft matte finish.
At night, you can use a moisturizer with antioxidants and active ingredients to help keep your skin hydrated and nourished all night. It should also contain ingredients with anti-aging and skin texture-improving properties.
That's why we think you'll love Pure Fiji's Hydrating Multi-Active Day Creme - a thirst quenching facial cream that contains powerful natural ingredients that provides all-day hydration, for all skin types.
- It is enriched with dilo leaf and beach almond leaf hydrosol, essential nutrients, vitamins and invigorating plant actives.
- Ngi grass offers up to 24 hours of hydration, it helps maintain hydration day after day for a more luminous complexion that radiates health.
- Dilo leaf hydrosol helps to regenerate skin cells; is anti-inflammatory, anti -microbial, humectant and skin conditioning.
Weekly Skin Care Routine for Combination Skin
A gentle exfoliator is perfect for combination skin. Avoid the use of harsh and abrasive mechanical scrubbers and exfoliators. Never scrub your face hard. We recommend a Pure Fiji's Exfoliating Scrub. It contains papaya and pineapple fruit enzymes designed to add smoothness to your skin, remove dead skin cells, unclog your skin pores, reduce oiliness, and keep your skin healthy.
Use an exfoliator once a week for healthy, clear and radiant skin.
2. Treatment Mask
Treat your skin once a week with a face mask.
DIY Mask Combination Skin
- º cup cooked oatmeal
- 2-3 tablespoons plain organic yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix all the ingredients in a glass bowl.
- Apply to a clean face and leave on for 10-15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water.
- Pat to try with a clean towel.
- Finish off with a serum and moisturizer.
Why It Works Great
- Oatmeal contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds that soothe itchy, dry and irritated skin. It is also great for acne-prone skin because it absorbs oil from the skin's surface. All of which makes oatmeal a perfect ingredient for facial masks.
- Honey is a great humectant, to hydrate the skin and lock in moisture, and it also has anti-bacterial properties which help to fight pimples and acne.
- The lactic acid present in yogurt is the natural alpha hydroxyl acid, which helps remove dead skin cells. It is also hydrating, does not irritate the skin and also ensures proper removal of dead skin cells.
Having combination skin doesn't have to be complicated. However, you need to be consistent with your skin care regimen. Your commitment to your skin care routine and the use of Pure Fiji's natural skin care products will ensure that your skin looks nourished and healthy.