Searches for essential oils have been trending higher on Pinterest for some time now. Pinterest users are creating DIY natural remedies and reaping the health benefits by adding them to their bath bombs, skincare and beauty products, for cleaning, and even adding them to their food and drinks. When you think about essential oils it can get overwhelming because of all the names you've probably never even heard of before. In this blog post we're sharing DIY skincare recipes to improve various aspects of skin health including; glowing skin, clearer skin, acne, blackheads, sensitivity, anti-aging, and more. Here are 5 DIY recipes for anti-aging, acneic skin, blackheads, & more.
What are essential oils?
According to Dr. Axe essential oils are extracted directly from the bark, flower, fruit, leaf, seed or root of a plant or tree, and just one drop can have powerful health benefits. They are typically created through the process of distillation, which separates the oil and water-based compounds of a plant by steaming.
1) DIY Vitamin C Serum for Anti-Aging
- 1 teaspoon GMO-free vitamin C powder
- 1 teaspoon filtered or purified water
- 1½ tablespoons Aloe Vera gel
- ⅛ teaspoon vitamin E oil
- 5 drops frankincense essential oil
- Using a bowl and a whisk, blend the vitamin C powder and filtered water.
- Add the Aloe Vera gel. Blend again.
- Add the vitamin E oil and frankincense. Mix all ingredients until well blended.
- Using a funnel, transfer the serum into a small amber bottle to help reduce light exposure.
- Apply at night, making sure to remove in the morning since it can cause sensitivity when exposed to the sun.
- You may want to start with every other night to make sure your skin responds well. Results are usually noticeable within a few weeks up to 3 months.
- If you have sensitive skin consider testing on a small patch of skin for the first night.
Benefits of frankincense essential oil for the skin:
- has the ability to strengthen skin and improve its tone & elasticity
- defense mechanisms against blemishes
- reduce the appearance of scars and acne
- reduces redness and skin irritation
2) DIY Face Wash for Clear Skin
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 20 drops tea tree oil
- 2 capsules of live probiotics
Mix the ingredients together and blend with a hand blender. Then pour the mixture into a convenient bottle and store it in a cool place.
Benefits of tea tree oil for the skin:
- A natural remedy for acne and other inflammatory skin conditions, including eczema and psoriasis.
- Effective in reducing inflammation, fighting skin or wound infections and reducing wound size.
- Soothe sunburns, sores and insect bites
3) DIY Blackhead Removal Mask
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1 drop peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop frankincense essential oil
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- Heat ⅛ cup of water in a pan. Place the warm water in a small dish.
- Add the peppermint essential oil. Stir.
- Add the gelatin. Blend well.
- Add the frankincense. Stir.
- Add the turmeric. Stir until well blended.
- Apply to the nose and cheek area or you may apply to the entire face and neck area. Allow it to dry, and then gently peel it off. Rinse with warm water.
Benefits of peppermint essential oil for the skin:
- has a calming, softening, toning and anti-inflammatory effect on the skin
- has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties
- effective when used to reduce blackheads, oily skin, dermatitis, inflammation and itchy skin
- can hydrate burnt skin and relieve the pain from sunburns
4) DIY Coconut & Tea Tree Oil Face Scrub
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons organic raw honey
- 4 tablespoons organic coffee grounds
- 8 drops carrot seed oil
- 6 drops tea tree essential oil
- Pour the coconut oil and honey into a small bowl or jar.
- Next, add the coffee grounds.
- Blend the ingredients.
- Add the carrot seed oil and tea tree oil.
- Blend all of the ingredients together.
- Store product in a small jar in the fridge.
5) DIY Hydrating Face Oil
- 3 tbsp jojoba oil
- 1 ½ tbsp argan oil
- 2 tsp rosehip seed oil
- 1/4 tsp Vitamin E
- 4 drops carrot seed essential oil
- 8 drops geranium essential oil
- 2 oz. dark dropper bottle
- Pour the jojoba oil into dropper bottle.
- Add the argan oil, rosehip seed oil and vitamin E.
- Add carrot and geranium oil.
- Shake before use.
- Cleanse your face
- Apply toner.
- Gently massage about a 1/4 to ½ dropper full of oil blend onto your face and neck.
Benefits of geranium essential oil:
- has antiseptic and regenerative properties
- high in antioxidants
- ideal for dry, sensitive, aging skin as it aids with skin repair
Benefits of rosehip seed oil and why Kate Middleton and Miranda Kerr swear by it:
- hydrates dry itchy skin
- exfoliates and helps brightens skin
- boosts collagen formation
- reduces inflammation
- protects against sun damage
- reduces dark spots and acne scarring
- reduces scars and fine lines
- rich in antioxidants
Essential oils can be used in so many ways by adding other ingredients like shea butter, clay, and charcoal. When you combine them with the right carrier oils you will see amazing results for your skin. As always it's always wise to do a patch test to make sure you do not have a negative reaction to the essential oils. The best place to do a test is in the inner forearm. Those who are pregnant should avoid essential oils.